slur & epithet, "racially derogatory word"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 30 17:13:40 UTC 2013

Seems like I posted something about this years ago, but maybe I never got
around to it.

My sense matches Geoff's. A "slur" used to be some kind of accusation or
imputation, unlike an "epithet," which was an insulting synonym.  "Slurs"
usually required a whole phrase or more for expression, while an "epithet"
was just one word (sometimes a compound: e.g., "mackerel-snapper").

FWIW, I think I began to notice the new sense of "slur" in the early '70s.
I noticed because I was aware that slang was rich in "epithets," not slurs.

JL