"Narrative" again

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 1 17:09:07 UTC 2013

There was no suggestion that he was commenting on anyone's formally
proposed "narrative" in any technical sense of the word that I'm familiar
with.  He could just as easily have said "idea," though I suppose a
"narrative" is more of a sequence than a "notion."  "Supposition" would
also fit.

As I've said before, "narrative" is extremely popular on cable news. They
like to use it whenever possible. (I have the feeling, only, that they will
avoid the use of "story" if they can substitute "narrative."

A news story is still a "story," but anything else outside of literature is
likely to be a "narrative."

JL