"Narrative" again

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu May 2 13:22:32 UTC 2013

At 5/2/2013 08:52 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>People scoffed years ago when I noted that "fact" can now mean "assertion
>or idea."
>
>If you see what I'm saying.

I believe I did & do -- that "narrative" can now mean (presumably to
both some writers and some readers) "an historically true and correct
description of what happened."  It's just that I know better -- and I
also mistrust anyone who says "narrative".  :-)  Or perhaps to be
more serious -- I don't believe any historical exposition until I
find two or more independently-asserted narratives saying the same
thing -- and they meet tests of common sense.

Joel