the early days of "baloney"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 3 15:43:14 UTC 2013

Nice work, B & G.

While it is true that Witwer applied the term "baloney" to third-rate
fighters as early as 1920, I think it would be a mistake to assume that the
word was ever used so exclusively, particularly when Baron von Munchausen
is called a "baloney" just two years later.  Nor am I aware that the word
ever meant "liar" specifically. I certainly never encountered it in that
sense, and it would be interesting if further exx. could be found.

"Baloney" was, rather, a vaguely dismissive term for clumsy, ignorant,
cloddish individuals.

I suggest that the new meaning 'hogwash' came about from the dismissiveness
of Witwer's sense (which he may or may not have invented and which appeared
in _Collier's_, one of the nation's leading mass-circulation weeklies) and
the familiarity of "blarney," a word that was very common in the journalism
of that era and which, even in the '50s, was used - in my experience,
anyway - more often in speech than it is today.

JL