early "jazz" in Variety

Fri May 3 17:16:38 UTC 2013

Ben, thanks for sharing information about your valuable search
strategy for the recalcitrant Old Fulton database.

The etymological research area of Jazz-Jass-Jas appears to me to be
very complicated.So I examined a sub-problem. The Wikipedia entry for
the word Jazz says the following (which may be inaccurate or
obsolete):

[Begin excerpt]
The first known use in New Orleans, discovered by lexicographer
Benjamin Zimmer in 2009, appeared in the New Orleans Times-Picayune on
Nov. 14, 1916
[End excerpt]

One of your columns is cited:
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/jazz-a-tale-of-three-cities/

In an effort to contribute I used the direct query interface of the
Old Fulton database. Selecting "Boolean" allows the following query.
The date restriction does not really work properly. The search engine
will match any number between 1900 and 1916 in the data item.

Query: 1900~~1916 AND "Jazz Band" AND "New Orleans"

There were 41 matches including the following. Of course, it is
possible that the New Orleans Jass Band did not originate in New
Orleans. In fact, it may never have visited New Orleans. But the cite
does provide evidence of a connection in September 1916. (Maybe this
is already known.)

[ref] 1916 September 23, New York Dramatic Mirror, REPORTS FROM MIRROR
CORRESPONDENTS: "STATE FAIR WEEK, MILWAUKEE", Quote Page 14, New York.
(Old Fulton)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
STATE FAIR WEEK, MILWAUKEE
The New Orleans "Jass Band." with the Dancing Dales, are the double
headliners at the Orpheum.
[End excerpt]

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2010/New%20York%20NY%20Dramatic%20Mirror/New%20York%20NY%20Dramatic%20Mirror%201916%20Sep-Nov%201917%20Grayscale/New%20York%20NY%20Dramatic%20Mirror%201916%20Sep-Nov%201917%20Grayscale%20-%200132.pdf

Garson