Heard on "Judge Mathis": [Inz] "money"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 6 23:21:15 UTC 2013

A gigolo being for the recovery of money is explaining to JM that he can't
mount a proper defense for fear of embarrassing his patron.

The Judge replies to the effect that

"I know you don't want to be doing nothing like that, 'cause you want to be
able to go back and get you some more of them _[Inz]_ from her!"

I've heard [Inz} used to mean "money" since I was a child. But, for the
obvious reason of the problem of slang compounded by dialect, I have no
idea whether the word is "ends" or "ins," since semantic development is
nugatory in either case. Money is the means to any _end. Money gets you
_in_. At the _end_ of a job, you get money. Money _in_ your pocket. The
means are your_ends_. With _ins_ you don't worry about being on the outs.

UD has both _ends_ and _ins_ as "money." Quelle surprise! One poster
asserts "< make ends (meet)."

As good a WAG as any other.

This was one of the few times that I've found anything ancient in UD that's
also relatively rare, to the extent that I was surprised Mathis used [inz],
he being much younger than I and it was never as hip as, e.g. _bread_.

Google has nothing old enough to provide evidence for an etymology.
--
-Wilson
-----