"jail fever", 1720

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 8 23:18:49 UTC 2013

At 5/8/2013 03:01 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On May 8, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>  If you read colonial newspapers of the early 18th century, you'll
> > find "goal" frequently, perhaps more so than "gaol".
> >
> > Joel
>
>I'm sure you're right.  I've always wondered how "gaol" ended up
>spelled that way (despite the velar softening), and now I have a
>second wonder about "goal".  Curious that, as you note below, the
>OED seems unaware of "goal" as an alternate spellling of "gaol" (as
>an alternate spelling of "jail").

I apologize if I led to a misunderstanding.  I did not mean to say
the OED wasn't aware of "goal" -- it has a sufficiency of that
spelling under "jail, n." for the 16th to 18th centuries.  I was
being unfairly snarky about the minions (envy, I suppose).  There
are, however, no quotations of the form "goal*fever*" (asterisks
indicating wild cards).

Joel