Facebook: "The _mother-load_ of recordings!" [NT]

Fri May 10 09:31:12 UTC 2013

Wilson Gray wrote
> Subject:      Facebook: "The _mother-load_ of recordings!" [NT]

> --
> -Wilson

Arnold has this in the The Eggcorn Database - v. 0.5

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/531/motherload/

[Begin excerpt]
mother lode » motherload
Classification: English
Spotted in the wild:

    “I registered for a few things. (After talking to R… it seems like
we will indeed recover the motherload of all baby objects from her
garage, leaving us not needing much stuff.)” (E-mail to Elizabeth
Daingerfield Zwicky from a friend, October 2004)
    “The motherload of cb info,…” (link)
    “I found the Moso motherload! … I’ma happy man.” (link)

Analyzed or reported by:

    Anna, on this site (link)
    Arnold Zwicky (The Fall Eggcorn Crop, on Language Log)

“Load” is a great deal more familiar than “lode”, and the mother lode
contains loads of (’lots of’) stuff, so the reinterpretation is
understandable.

There are also some cites with “motherload” reinterpreted as ‘a mother
of a load, a huge load’: “Protect your computer from a motherload of
viruses, spyware Web site, company offer free ways to protect PC…”
(link)

{End excerpt]