"collude" = "create cutting-edge work with an avant-garde artist"

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon May 13 15:35:24 UTC 2013

And the somewhat famous (anachronistically notorious) sentence from _David Copperfield_:  "The heartiness of the ejaculation startled Mr. Dick exceedingly; and me, too, if I am to tell the truth."

--Charlie
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:52 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

--And on the point below, there are also the English bits that have become juicier with the passage of time, e.g.

She [Miss Twitterton] embarked on an agitated description of the previous night's events, in which the keys, the chimneys, Crutchley's new garage, the bed-linen, the ten o'clock bus, and Peter's intention of putting in an electric plant were jumbled into hopeless confusion. The vicar ejaculated from time to time and looked increasingly bewildered.  “Most trying, most trying,” he said at length, when Miss Twitterton had talked herself breathless.
            —Dorothy L. Sayers (1937), _Busman's Honeymoon_ (London: Victor Gollancz), p. 113