Document!

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 13 22:17:21 UTC 2013

Thanks. Quite often, a spammy or phishing email from a partiular address
need not necessarily be sent from an infected computer. I've pointed
this out before--the addresses might be compromised through different
means without the local computer itself or the respective account ever
being compromised. Unfortunately, because of the way this listserv
processes messages, all the incoming headers are stripped, so there is
no way to tell if the message is spoofed or actually sent from an
infected computer. But there is something in the headers that is not
present in other ADS-L messages: There s an added "Comment" line that
suggests that there was something wrong with the incoming message:

> RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and ignored.

Most, but not all, the messages that arrived through ADS-L that I marked
as spam/phishing contain a comment line. None of the ordinary ADS-L
messages, among the ones I checked, do.

This is certainly a legitimate subscriber whose account and/or address
book might have been compromised. Unsubbing such members is a bit of a
drastic measure, but may be necessary while they sort out any potential
infections their computers may have. Either way, they should be made
aware of the problem so that they may restore the subscription once the
account is clean again.

In the past, there have been multiple messages of this sort from several
people, including Ron Butters. I've had spam/phishing messages that, at
one point, had claimed to have come from my own account (usually, an
account different from the one receiving). Bottom line, don't blame the
person whose address is being used.

     VS-)