two long articles on slang

Tue May 14 14:50:49 UTC 2013

I don't foresee having the time to comb through these in the near future --
maybe not in the remote future, either, for that matter, so here they are,
for those interested.

Street Slang up to Date

Tacoma Daily News, January 15, 1894, p. 4, cols. 3-4

Click here for your document:
http://docs.newsbank.com/s/HistArchive/ahnpdoc/EANX/110FDE4381495880/0D0CB53C6F0321C0

The second is from St. Louis Globe-Democrat, (St. Louis, MO) Sunday,
January 30, 1876, pg. 11, col. 7, crediting the Cincinnati Enquirer, and is
headed Street Slang.  The Talk of the Theater, the Sawdust Arena and the
Bar-Room, a full column.  It seems that I can't email this story directly,
as ADS-L won't accept downloads -- no matter, anyway, since I don't seem to
be able to make a download that does not cut off the bottom third of the
story.  I found it through Gale's 19th Century American Newspapers, though
I forget what I was looking for when it turned up -- but I just found it
again by searching "Street slang" as a headline or title.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.