"jew" as adjective and compound nouns vs. adj. + n.?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 15 16:44:29 UTC 2013

On May 15, 2013, at 12:20 PM, George Thompson wrote:

> LH writes: "There's no reason to assume that the meaning of a compound will
> be transparent.  "Olive oil" is oil of olives, "baby oil" isn't oil of
> babies. . . ."
>
> Does this mean that "Olive oil" can be taken as transparent, whereas "baby
> oil" isn't?  I'd deny that.  "Olive oil" is transparent only if we assume
> that the essential aspect of an oil is its source, not its use.  If we
> assume otherwise, then it's "baby oil" that's transparent -- as it should
> be.  At least, my babies insisted that their oil should be transparent, not
> murky.

No, my point was that you can't expect nominal AB compounds (a category that, I argued, includes "Jew lawyer") to necessarily have the semantics of "Jew basher", because there is in fact a wide range of possible meanings for nominal compounds besides "a B of A(s)". Cases of A as source or use of B are two, but not the only ones. One possible, and frequently attested, meaning is "(a) B that is also (an) A", which would extend to "Jew lawyer" as well as "nurse midwife", "man friend", "student teacher" and so on.  This is why it makes more sense to distinguish adjectives modifiers from nominal modifiers grammatically, whence the diagnostics I alluded to below (e.g. "the lawyer looks/seems/sounds Jewish"--OK, so adjective; "the lawyer looks/seems/sounds Jew"--not OK, so noun).

LH