ship, shipping, shippers, shipwar, shipping war, shipable

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 23 21:34:38 UTC 2013

Brave New Words has "shipper" from a May 8, 1996 post to alt.tv.xfiles: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/alt.tv.x-files/frasier$20tom/alt.tv.x-files/VxNnwcmWYxY/TKbp1rxwbcsJ

Note that this has a reference to a "'shippers list", which implies an earlier coinage. I have no idea whether this was a listserv or what, however.

Interestingly, BNW has May 7 as the date. I have no idea whether I committed a transcription error, or whether the date displayed has changed for some reason. Google Groups search was simpler in 2006 when I was doing that research.

I didn't cover the derivative forms; I'm not entirely sure why not, but many of them probably arose only after "shipper" had left the realm of SF media fandom, which made them poorer candidates for BNW; "shipping" et al. are now the jargon of media fandom writ large, much the same as "fanfic", "slash", etc. have become.

Jeff Prucher