Trivia: How to pronounce "gif"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 24 17:49:52 UTC 2013

And now the great (/dZreit/?) debate has made it into the Times:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/battle-over-gif-pronunciation-erupts/

I particularly like this Charlton-Heston-snowclonic response:

“You can have my hard ‘G’ when you pry it from my cold, dead hands,” Tracy Rotton, a Web developer from Washington, D.C., wrote on Twitter.

…although it does seem as though it would be from Rotton's cold hard velum that Wilhite will be prying it.

LH