cronut

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 29 17:50:12 UTC 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswiimBEvCk
>> Published on May 28, 2013
>>
>> New York City chef Dominique Ansel has sparked a legitimate craze with
>> the cronut, a unique mash up of a donut and croissant that has people
>> lining up in the wee hours of the morning to score their allotted six
>> (since the bakery runs out so quickly, they've instituted a per-person
>> maximum). In today's video we stop by to see if the now trademarked
>> sweet treat lives up to the hype (hint: if there's a line outside an
>> NYC bakery, you probably should get in on it).

I'm surprised they don't blend (or mash) in the macaron, which has sparked lines around the block at all hourse around Madison and 59th since Ladurée's product first caught on with bloggers and the Times.   MacCronut?

I don't really like the vowel in "cronut"--seems like "croinut" [k(r)wan at t]" k(r)waNUT would be more faithful.  But I suppose if it's "croNUT" [kra'n at t] rather than penult stress it's not TOO opaque.

Or perhaps "dossant" [do'sã], rhyming with "l'eau-sang" (the French for 'bloodwater')?  That would have the advantage of reminding us of the chef's first name. On the other hand, maybe we don't want our pastries to remind us of bloodwater.  Complicated issues to resolve, to be sure.

LH