come back vs. get back

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Nov 2 16:16:53 UTC 2013

Is it possible that "come/came" is often chosen when there is some
emphasis on the action of returning, on the journey, and "get/got"
when the emphasis is on the arrival?

I come back at five -- my trip always/generally starts (or perhaps,
ends) at five.
I came back at five -- that day my trip began (ended) at five.
I get back at five -- I always/generally arrive at my destination at five.
I got back at five -- that day I arrived at my destination at five.

These would probably be my choices -- if some linguist forced me to
think about them.  Although those who think "come/came" equates to
"arrive" might use either "come" or "get" at random.  I suspect a
lawyer would demand that the witness clarify by saying "leave/left"
or "arrive/arrived".

Joel