"ransomeware", not in OED3; GBooks 2005--

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Nov 5 16:39:24 UTC 2013

FWIW I received a warning yesterday from our local tech support listserv that an actual instance had been found on campus. The person who sent the message spelled it with two e's:

"I just wanted to give you a heads-up that we've recently been affected by the new "Cryptolocker" ransomeware. One of our client machines (on which the user had non-admin privileges) was infected with this and was successful at encrypting a vast majority of her files locally, as well as encrypting most of the files on any network share she had access to on our Windows domain."

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.