Deictic 'go'

hw gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 6 08:32:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Benjamin Torbert <btorbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think several of these examples are distinct from the ones I hear in
> AAE.  They don't accurately paraphrase with a *be  *verb.

And, in BE, it be used *deictically*. Gnome sane? When I hear *this* _here
go_, I expect a stud to be going to *show* me something, even if only
figuratively. You know, like that time at Camp Don Bosco - this was back
back in 1948, the first year that the Archdiocese of Saint Louis forced the
local Catholic sleep-away camp to allow colored Catholics to enjoy the
benefits of suburban living and not be chopping cotton or priming tobacco,
remember that? - when James Reed tucked his dick between his thighs and,
pretending to do the can-can, announced to his audience, "Here go a girl!"

--
-Wilson
-----