and speaking of English "subjunctives"...

hw gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 10 03:11:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>wrote:

> OK on the "is", but for me "mattered" is natural in the counterfactual
> ("as if") context.  What's entirely unnatural, we can perhaps agree, is the
> reviewer's "were".

"mattered" is natural in the counterfactual ("as if") context.

I was juss mess in witcha. ;-) I can dig it.

What's entirely unnatural ... is the reviewer's "were".

To use antique in-group slang, "As a matter of fact."

I.e., "Yes." Though "As a matter of fact, no" is certainly possible, "As a
matter of fact" was interpreted, by convention, only as a (strong)
positive: "As a matter of fact, yes!"
--
-Wilson
-----