"lanechtskipt" =? "landish-ship"

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 12 20:37:22 UTC 2013

Now my WAG from right field.
To clarify my <lanechtskipt> WAG, after further imput & reflection:
(1) <lanechtskipt> probably means 'camel'.
(2) Determine whether <lanechtskipt> can, therefore, be analyzed as 'ship
of the desert'.
(3) <-skipt> resembles the *written* forms for <the ship> in Nordic
singular definite article is pronounced only in Swedish & Icelandic.
Elsewhere it is 'silent'.
You can hear them pronounced with Google translator. On the English side, I
typed {ship, the ship, ships, two ships, the two ships} and got an idea of
the graphic and PHONETIC variations. For <sk-> Swedish <skeppet> has the
infamous [hooktop heng] (only to be heard to be believed); Norwegian
[SKYAY-pehd/].
(4) <lanecht->, then, must mean 'desert'.
(5) Finding meaning in <lan->. As indicated earlier, Pokorny (p.675) s.v.
*lendh- 'open land, wasteland, plain', reconstructs Gallo-Romance &
p-Celtic *landa: 'heath, moorland'; whence French <lande> 'wasteland', the
source of English <lawn> (basically a treeless patch of land not under
cultivation). I don't know if this is really the source of the <lan-> in
<lanechtskipt>, but the form & meaning make a good match.
(6) And that leaves the <-echt-> in <lanechtskipt>.
(a) Earlier, I had opined that <-echt> was similar to English <-ish>,
German <-isch>, expressing origin, belonging, etc. And if <lanechtskipt> is
indeed Norwegian or Danish, that final <t> in <-echt-> could just as well
be silent, as it would have been in <-skipt>.
(b) Alternatively <-echt-> could be equivalent to German <-ig> (<g>
pronounced as an ich-laut), English <-y>.