Thirteen and the odd

Thu Nov 14 06:14:16 UTC 2013

Here is an extracted excerpt from a book claiming that the phrase is
special-purpose rhyming slang invented by Runyon. Perhaps you've
already seen this in GB?

Title: Runyonese: the mind and craft of Damon Runyon
Author: Jean Wagner
Year: 1965
Page 87
(Google Books snippet view)

[Begin extracted text]
Now, thirteen-and-odd is interpreted by Du Bose as meaning « Formal
evening dress », though the question mark following his interpretation
shows that he was not quite convinced of its correctness himself 16.
Actually, the phrase is a piece of rhyming slang coined by Runyon
himself for the occasion and meaning simply « Todd », the theater in
which the scene takes place. Another example appears toward the end of
« The Brain Goes Home », when Runyon describes the weeping done at The
Brain's funeral by his wife and his three mistresses:

Anybody will tell you that for offhand weeping at a funeral The
Brain's ever-loving wife Charlotte does herself very proud indeed, but
she is not one-two-seven with Doris Clare, Cynthia Harris and Bobby
Baker. In fact, Bobby Baker weeps so loud that there is some talk of
heaving her out of the funeral altogether 17.

This time, This time, Du Bose's guess comes quite close when he
suggests « comparable » as the meaning of one-two-seven, though the
correct ...
[End extracted text]

Garson