Quote: Supposed Lincoln quote traces to Alphonse Karr - help with French requested

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 16 02:41:54 UTC 2013

Well, we like our presidents optimistic.  I'm sure Reagan didn't invent his beloved story about the boy who was delighted to be sent to a room piled to the ceiling with horse manure "because there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere". As for the thorns and roses, at least the French version rhymes nicely.

LH