scup; scupping

Brian Hitchcock brianhi at SKECHERS.COM
Tue Nov 19 18:14:26 UTC 2013

Compare "scupper".
It is shaped somewhat like a scoop, to guide water through the wall of an
enclosed flat roof or deck, often into a drain.
Originally applied to such a device as  used on a ship, the word now
applies to land-locked buildings as well.

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list