Phrase: happy as a clam; happy as a clam at high water

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 19 20:14:15 UTC 2013

On Nov 19, 2013, at 1:48 PM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> It strikes me, intuitively, that elaboration is as probable (in general) as abbreviation.  I'm fairly certain that "Cold as a witch's tit" was subsequently decorated, amplified (as the old rhetoricians would have said) into "Cold as a witch's tit in a brass brassiere," for example.  There's a subtle social pressure to be cleverer than previous utterers of a given expression.  (Thence the "creativity" of folklore, in contrast to mere rote repetition.)

The difference for me is that "cold as a witch's tit" is sufficiently semantically motivated without the brass bra accouterment (related to those frost-deballed brass monkeys?), while "happy as a clam" isn't, or at least not obviously so.  Similarly, I can imagine "happy as a pig in slop/shit/mud/..." being shortened to "happy as a pig" by someone not on intimate terms with pigdom, while the bare simile isn't particularly motivated.  (This is without knowing the citation history on pigs and happiness.)

As opposed to "happy as a lark", or of course "happy as Larry", which are both eminently motivated in their short form.

> Of course, since we're largely dealing with oral tradition here, authentic dating is so difficult.

Granted.

LH