Phrase: happy as a clam; happy as a clam at high water

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 21 06:29:39 UTC 2013

Maybe the "at high tide" part referred to one kind of clam:

Some clams are happy because at high tide* they* can eat. Around this neck
of the woods, the steamer clams (Mya arenaria*)* are not under water at low
tide and have to wait until the tide comes in to filter feed. The Quahog
(Mercenaria mercenaria) is usually always submerged.

Of course I'm supposing that eating makes a clam happy.

Eric