"Kubla Khan and Ollie"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 23 02:41:00 UTC 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> I remember them, although distantly; but why is this an eggcorn?

Well, maybe rather a malapropism.  I thought it was an eggcorn because I was assuming that Francesa had a mental lexicon entry for "Kubla Khan" and not for "Kukla (the clown)" or "Fran (Allison)", but you're right in questioning my characterization, since Kubla Khan doesn't rationalize or motivate the expression, unless you assume he'd have make a good partner for a dragon (albeit a puppet dragon).  But let's go with Mrs. Malaprop.

LH