Some examples of rhyming slang

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 23 21:28:03 UTC 2013

So in general, it's SWS, where the second strong (or stressed) syllable is the intended referent ("phone"), SWS is a familiar collocation ("dog and bone") rhyming with it, and the first strong syllable is the resultant expression ("dog").  One outlier is "titfer" for "hat", where the pattern would predict a different outcome.  Hmmm.

(Curious that the locus classicus is not exemplified here:  "wife" > "trouble and strife" > "trouble".)

LH