Query: /w/ for /r/ in any British dialects?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Nov 24 20:39:32 UTC 2013

Are there any British dialects where /w/ can be substituted for /r/, such as "gwand" for "grand" and "dweadful" for "dreadful"? This feature turned up in the speech of at least some 19th century (U.S.) "dudes", who somehow took it to be refined British speech.  Was it based on anything actually spoken in Britain?

Gerald Cohen

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list