Last Plea for Most Notable Quotations of 2013

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 24 21:03:06 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM, paul johnson wrote:

> How can it be anything but:
>
> " If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period."

As I told Fred off-list, it would be problematic to use that as a 2013
quote, since Obama made the pledge in '09. It would be sort of like
selecting "Read my lips, no new taxes" in 1990 instead of '88. Since
Obama has had to hedge on the "you can keep it" pledge this year, it
would be more on point to quote him admitting to the troubles of
Obamacare, such as "We fumbled the rollout on this healthcare law."

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/