Query: /w/ for /r/ in any British dialects?

Mon Nov 25 03:04:14 UTC 2013

A lot of American dialects (like NYC, for one, and seemingly Great Lakes varieties too) have no retroflexion either.  What I have, for instance, is a "molar r", with the tongue retracted to approximately the palato-alveolar position) and somewhat spread across the mouth sideways.  The palatal resonance is present for me (Roger Lass has stated that this is really the direct descendant of the [@I] that used to be regular in NYC, with increased closure, in words like bird), but there is no shaping by the lips.

For 19c RP, the lip rounding might be the factor in the sound that makes it /w/-like.

I wonder if older Boston speakers had a similar sound.  The place where I hear the most lip /r/'s here isn't so much Boston itself (though I wonder about real Southie vernacular), but places like Lowell and Worcester- Barbara "Wawa" Walters and the late Paul Tsongas were famous for them, but I hear it from some of the contractors on the This Old House program.  Providence evidently lacks it, at least from anecdotal evidence.

Paul Johnston