Twitter's loved and hated words (WOTY: thot, bae, ratchet)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 29 14:24:12 UTC 2013

On Nov 29, 2013, at 4:34 AM, Hugo wrote:

> @LOVIHATIBOT
>
> In a similar vein to @favibot, I made @lovihatibot. It's been running a month now and has found 3,698 loved words and 4,605 hated words.
>
> It searches Twitter for the phrases "I love the word [X]" and "I hate the word [X]", extracts X and adds it to Wordnik lists. It then tweets out the words it finds.
>
> http://twitter.com/lovihatibot
> http://www.wordnik.com/lists/twitter-loves
> http://www.wordnik.com/lists/twitter-hates
> https://github.com/hugovk/word-tools
>
> Along with the usual swear words, two of the most popular words are words I've never heard before: "thot" and "bae".

I assume the haters are upset with those who use "thot" for "thought".  About "bae" I have no idea.

> They're the top two hated words, and 4th and 5th loved words. (An honourable mention to "ratchet", another new one to me and on both lists.)

Very popular on my students' new word lists, and a WOTY candidate from I believe last year. Ben will remember. Proposed but unconfirmed etymology: variation of "wretched".

LH