foo foo coffee

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Nov 30 22:57:59 UTC 2013

At 11/30/2013 05:11 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
>I've always used "frou-frou" for unnecessarily fancy, even
>high-fallutin' stuff.

So have I (but rarely). It's sort-of in OED2, but there's no modified
meaning for the figurative use, just a passing on by default of the
literal definition, "A rustling, esp. the rustling of a dress."

>All of the semantics in the Urban Dictionary
>passage apply.
>
>On 11/30/13 5:07 PM, Spanbock/Svoboda-Spanbock wrote:
>>My family has been using the term for many years, although I'm not
>>clear about the volleyball comment or the pink capri pants.
>>However, a ruffled silk blouse, worn by anyone other than Sophia
>>Loren, would qualify.
>>
>>No idea sure where it came from.

The a-rhotic (I can't figure out whether "non-rhotic" applies to
this).  Or those who substitute W for R (does Sandy Schoenthaler
sound like Baba-a Wawa?).

Joel