"If it's not one thing, it's two things", and a QOTY nominee

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 1 14:36:54 UTC 2013

On Oct 1, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 10/1/2013 08:53 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>> Psychoanalytic variant:  "If it's not one thing, then you're in denial."
>
> I thought it was "If this is Egypt, then you're in denial".
>
> Joel

Speaking of denial, some of you may be following the current stalemate/paralysis in D.C.  Whatever your politics, and whatever your take on Krugman, it's hard not to appreciate the last line of yesterday's column:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/opinion/krugman-rebels-without-a-clue.html
http://t.co/6mdG5e39B3

This all sounds crazy, because it is. But the craziness, ultimately, resides not in the situation but in the minds of our politicians and the people who vote for them. Default is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Perhaps not original with Krugman, but very well set up.  And a possible QOTY candidate depending on how all this plays out.

LH