Proverb: A Friend to all, is a Friend to none.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 1 23:42:54 UTC 2013

>From the same primary year (courtesy EEBO):

1658 John Jones, trans. _Ovid's Invective or Curse against Ibis_  (Oxford:
Ric. Davis) 119: He that is a friend to all, is a friend to none; he that
sincerely is a friend to one, is truly a friend to himself: for a friend is
second self. [sic]

In fact, it may even be slightly earlier. Someone has altered with a pen or
pencil the "1658" title-page date to "1657."

JL

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com