Choosing a Book Title in the Internet Age: Margaret Atwood and MaddAddam (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Oct 2 15:11:25 UTC 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> I just listened to part of an interview on cbc.ca of Margaret Atwood
> during which she spoke about her novel MaddAddam which is a
palindrome.

> She explained why the letter "d" was doubled in MaddAddam (appearing
> four times).
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/features/2013/09/15/feature-5/
>
> Atwood: But the real explanation is that I went online and there was
> already somebody who had the domain name of it with one "d".
>
> Interviewer: Really?
>
> Atwood: Yes
>
> Interviewer: So by adding ...
>
> Atwood: By adding another "d" I was able to make a unique name that
> nobody could then claim as a porn site.

I think Ms. Atwood vastly underestimates the creativity of people who
come up with porn site domain names.