Fred's "American Legal Quotations" scores a hit

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 3 03:07:50 UTC 2013

On Oct 2, 2013, at 9:27 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Yes Salem is in Massachusetts.  In its colonial law, all capital
> crimes had to be presented to and by a grand jury.  It was the
> prevalent belief, not only of magistrates but also of the people,
> that witches existed.  The controversy was whether spectral evidence
> was valid.

Ah, spectral evidence...reminds me of that Sally Rogers song about Susanna Martin from Amesbury (just 37 minutes from Salem via I-95, and even less by broomstick):

Susanna Martin was a witch who lived in Amesbury
With brilliant eye and saucy tongue she worked her sorcery
And when into the judge's court the sheriffs brought her hither
The lilacs drooped as she passed by
And then were seen to wither

A witch she was, though trim and neat with comely head held high
It did not seem that one as she with Satan so would vie
And when in court when the afflicted ones proclaimed her evil ways
She laughed aloud and boldly then
Met Cotton Mather's gaze

The neighbors 'round swore to the truth of her Satanic powers
That she could fly o'er land and stream and come dry-shod through showers
At night, twas said, she had appeared a cat of fearsome mien
"Avoid she-devil," they had cried
To keep their spirits clean.

The spectral evidence was weighed, then stern the parson spoke
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, tis written in the Book"
Susanna Martin so accused, spoke with flaming eyes
"I scorn these things for they are naught
But filthy gossips' lies"

[she's hanged a bit later in the song based on the spectral evidence; quick justice in those days]

LH (a few yards down from Mather St., which is named for guess who)