Possibly spurious Samuel Adams quotation [RBBernstein]

Mon Oct 7 21:57:49 UTC 2013

Wariness and disbelief are appropriate responses to this quotation
attributed to Samuel Adams.

The September 6, 1987 issue of the popular Sunday newspaper supplement
Parade magazine included an article about Samuel Adams titled "The Man
Who Made a Revolution" by Diane Ackerman. The author wrote a sentence
in which she speculated about the mindset and thoughts of Samuel
Adams. A section of this sentence has been transformed into a
quotation and ascribed directly to Adams. In addition, over time the
wording of the statement has been altered in an evolutionary process.
These are two known mechanisms which help to explain the development
of multiple misquotations.

Here is the relevant passage from Parade magazine:

Date: September 6, 1987
Newspaper: Mobile Register
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Newspaper Supplement: Parade Magazine
Article Title: The Man Who Made A Revolution
Article Author: Diane Ackerman
Start Page 20
Quote Page 22
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
Adams didn't invent the phrase "rabble-rousing," but he raised the act
to an art form. Early on, he realized that revolutions don't require a
majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to
set brushfires in people's minds. Dogged, subtle, eloquent and
cunning, he was obsessed with a vision of the ideal state he wanted
America to become.
[End excerpt]

This citation was located by top lexicographical researcher Barry
Popik who placed crucial information about this misquotation on his
website on December 2, 2009.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/it_does_not_require_a_majority_to_prevail_but_rather_an_irate_tireless_mino/

Short link if long link is broken: http://bit.ly/17hiUCD

Garson O'Toole