unskew

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 13 23:00:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> I don't recall if "unskew" and "unskewed" were in WOTY contention last
> year, but they are coming back with a vengeance between the unfriendly
> NJ Senate polls and the radically bad Congressional approval numbers
> following the shutdown. Josh Marshall even adds "unskewers" to the pot,
> which, of course, made me think of skewers rather than skewed polls. If
> it wasn't up on the ballot last year, its return should earn it an
> appearance this year.

"Unskew" made my 2012 list of nominees, as well as Nancy Friedman's
and Grant Barrett's, but it didn't go anywhere in the WOTY voting.

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/the-year-in-words-2012-edition/
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2012/12/words-of-the-year-2012-fritinancy-edition.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sunday/the-words-and-expressions-of-2012.html

--bgz