Antedating of "oojah" and "oojahkapivi"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 19 16:10:45 UTC 2013

Undoubtedly relevant: here it seems to means "Turkish soldier."

Cf., also from an antipodean source:

1919 W. H. Downing _Digger Dialects_ (Melbourne: Lothian) 28 [ref. to
1916-18]:  HOOJAH—What's-his-name.

Downing was a sergeant in the 57th Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces,
in Egypt and France. He authored a memoir, _To the Last Ridge_ in 1920.

I'd try Turkish or Arabic for an etymon.

JL