Ancient wisdom, or my own?

Sun Oct 20 20:06:46 UTC 2013

Title: Chinese-English Dictionary of the Vernacular or Spoken Language of Amoy,
With the Principal Variations of the Chang-chew and Chin-chew Dialects
Author: Carstairs Douglas
Quote Page: 139
Column: 2
Publisher: Trubner & Co., London
http://books.google.com/books?id=XC0yAQAAMAAJ&q=%22cannot+dismount%22#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
... to bind a tiger is easy the trouble is to let him loose ...
... he who rides a tiger cannot dismount ...
[End excerpt]

Year: 1874
Title: A Syllabic Dictionary of the Chinese Language Arranged
According to the Wu-Fang Yuen Yin
Quote Page: 345
Column: 1
Publisher: American Presbyterian Mission Press, Shanghai
http://books.google.com/books?id=qwY5AQAAMAAJ&q=dismount#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
... he who rides a tiger has need of great skill to dismount.
[End excerpt]

Here is the YBQ citation.

[ref] 2006, The Yale Book of Quotations by Fred R. Shapiro,
Section Proverbs, Page 619, Yale University Press, New Haven.
(Verified on paper) [/ref]
[Begin excerpt]
He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount.
William Scarborough,A Collection of Chinese Proverbs
(1875)
[End excerpt]

The key reference "Irrepressible Churchill" attributed a version of
the saying to Winston Churchill in 1937 and pointed to the volume
"Step by step: 1936-1939" by Winston Churchill. (I have not checked
this on paper yet.) Other references point to "While England Slept"
(1938) by Churchill.

[ref] 1966, Irrepressible Churchill: A Treasury of Winston Churchill's
Wit by Kay Halle, Page 136, World Publishing Company, Cleveland and
New York. (Verified on paper) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
STEP BY STEP
W.S.C.: Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers from which they dare not
dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry.
[End excerpt]

Garson