Antedatings of "everything but the kitchen sink [or stove]"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 22 15:02:32 UTC 2013

Here's some earlier stoves (and a range), from 1906 to 1914. All the early stoves (up to 1911) comment on a woman's attire. As far as I can tell all authors and publishers are American.

---

"The Other Doors" by Mary Heaton Vorse published in Scribner's Magazine - Vol. XXXIX, May 1906, No. 5 - Page 603:

[Begin]
But Fe-
licia merely remarked, "She had on every-
thing but the kitchen stove, and yet she
looked well dressed!"
[End]

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015056077244;view=1up;seq=641

Title page:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015056077244;view=1up;seq=551

---

"In the Ballingers' Box" by Harold Susman published in The Smart Set - Vol. XXX - No. 4 - April, 1910 - Page 66:

[Begin]
ALGIE She has on everything but the kitchen stove. And now that I look closer, I see that she has that on, too!
[End]

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3874432;view=1up;seq=618

Title page:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3874432;view=1up;seq=551

---

(Another possible 1910 or 1911 but GB is snippet only and I can't find this volume at Hathitrust or Internet Archive:
[Begin] the lady "had on everything but the kitchen stove" in anticipation" [End]
http://books.google.com/books?id=cowXAQAAMAAJ&q=%22everything+but+the+kitchen%22&dq=%22everything+but+the+kitchen%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1YJmUua_O-eO5ATNp4HgCw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ )

---

Prince Or Chauffeur?: A Story of Newport by Lawrence Perry - A.C. McClurg & Company, 1911 - Newport (R.I.) - Page 335:

[Begin]
He was vaguely amused at the remark of a woman beyond the first bloom of youth, who, turning to her companion and nodding toward a socially famous young matron, who preceded them down the stairs fairly jingling with jewelry, remarked:

"I say, Jerry, Mrs. Billy has put on everything but the kitchen stove."

It confirmed in Jack's mind an impression which had begun to form, that the smart set, so-called, is not altogether lacking in, well,—smartness.
[End]

https://archive.org/details/princeorchauffe00perrgoog
https://archive.org/stream/princeorchauffe00perrgoog#page/n349/mode/1up

---

This is not a comment on a women being dressed up to the nines, but rather taking almost everything on a journey. Also "kitchen range" rather than "stove".

"An Adventure in Contentment" by George Palmer Putnam (husband of Amelia Earhart) - Outdoor World & Recreation - Vol. XLIX - September, 1913 - No. 3:

[Begin]
Such was the invariable wail
at a long portage, inevitable
the world over, for trim down
equipment as heroically as you
will, and yet it seems as if you
had about everything but the
kitchen range, and the grand
piano when it comes to back-
packing. We had little enough;
no tent, a sleeping bag each, and
the proven fundamentals of the
culinary department, plus the
satisfactory luxury of camera
equipment.
[End]

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924094284977;view=1up;seq=137

Title page:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924094284977;view=1up;seq=135

---

This is also not to do with a woman's clothes, but another "almost everything".

A chapter letter for "Louisiana Alpha-Newcomb College" by Mildred Post in The Arrow of Pi Beta Phi - Volume 30 - March 1914 - Issue 3 - Page 468:

[Begin]
It was the last school day before Christmas, and we had the usual Christmas tree with a present for the room from each member, besides a present for each girl from one other girl.  We actually could not say that the presents were "everything but the kitchen stove," for even the "kitchen stove," at least a very diminutive one, was included for one girl. But the "eats" were wonderful and we had just the very best time we could have had.
[End]

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015076252843;view=1up;seq=200

Title page:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015076252843;view=1up;seq=11