"mnemonic possession"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Sat Oct 26 00:08:46 UTC 2013

If you really and truly learned the elements from Tom Lehrer's song then you
are my hero, and perhaps a candidate for apotheosis, another being Tom. I
couldn't mnemonic (ha! verbified!) past hydrogen, which is sad but true. I
learned my life lessons from "So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb,"
"Vatican Rag," "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park," "Be Prepared" and so many
others.
DAD

Poster:       Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>
Subject:      Re: "mnemonic possession" (UNCLASSIFIED)
---

It's how I learned them, except of course for those that hadn't been
discovered.

Neal

> Poster:       Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "mnemonic possession" (UNCLASSIFIED)

---

<william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:

>> So, what other things have you memorized from a song?  I'm aware of (but
>> haven't learned):
>> Lehrer's song about the elements
>> Animaniacs songs of state capitals and countries
>
> i can't believe that anyone has ever learned the names of the elements
from Tom Lehrer's song.  it's a tour de force, but not really usable as a
mnemonic,