OT: Re: "mnemonic possession"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 28 17:11:56 UTC 2013

I admit with embarrassment that there are indeed zombies in the
Bible, although I would have been correct had I written "zombies".  I
have been instructed to study the tale of Lazarus;  Isaiah 26:19; 1
Corinthians 15:52 (although Arnold forced me to find that from a
quotation); and Matthew 27:50 - 53 (which better fits the modern
conception: sleeping saints arise en masse and march into the city).

Zombies as reputably characterized (Wikipedia) are not required to
assemble in hordes, march lurchingly, have fixed stares, or dismember
living humans and consume the parts.  They merely must have been
magically raised from the dead and become animated.

However, another authority (the OED) requires soullessness, which
would seem to eliminate all  the Bible's zombies.  Or am I once again
ignorant -- if an entity with a soul (e.g., humans) is raised from
the dead, is it then soulless?

Joel