"culture is what remains when all else is forgotten" -- an original source?

Fri Sep 6 09:41:48 UTC 2013

Here is some incremental progress pushing the date back to 1907 for a
version of he saying.

Date: December 1907
Periodical: The Phi Gamma Delta
Speech title: Indiana, Incubator of Immortals
Start Page 180
Quote Page 183 and 184

[Begin excerpt]
After all, as a college president said recently, "Culture is what is
left when what you have learned at college has been forgotten," and we
must admit that the evidences of true culture are just as many in our
men from Purdue, from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, from
Illinois, and the other schools that are predominantly agricultural
and engineering, as they are in the men from Indiana, from Yale,
Columbia, Stanford, or any other that is pre-eminently literary and
scientific in its curriculum.
[End excerpt]

Garson