Slight antedatings of "goldendoodle"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 9 13:43:00 UTC 2013

I emailed the webmaster of goldendoodles.com and got this reply:

[Begin]

Hi Hugo,

I hadn't realized that 'goldendoodle' was in the dictionary.  That's very
neat.  I know that I was the first person to use the word on the net.  I
invented the word when I first decided to get our two Goldendoodles in the
Fall of 2000.  They were called Golden Poos in Ontario, which is an awful
name.  I ran 'golden poo' through a search engine at the time, and it
brought up a gag award shaped like a golden turd.  I learned about the
Retriever-Poodle hybrid after discovering Labradoodles, so it seemed
natural to call them that.  (Calling my dogs 'Goldendoodles' actually
started a kaffufle on a Labradoodle forum, and I was asked to leave,
prompting me to start my own forum and website.)  After I started our
family Goldendoodle site, I ran the term 'goldendoodle' in the search
engine and it brought up only the 7 pages of our family site.   A few years
ago I had a family write me to tell me that they have been calling their
dog a Goldendoodle since 1992, so it's probably been 'invented' by several
people over the years.

The first site I created was our family site, at the end of 2000.  It
appears that the last time I updated it was March 7, 2001

http://bluesterling.tripod.com/goldendoodles1/id1.html

The first Goldendoodle Website was on Tripod -

http://members.tripod.com/goldendoodle

I also started the Doodle Discussion Forum for Goldendoodle & Labradoodle
owners in January 2001, and the moderators of that site may be able to give
you an exact date :

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/141437.html

Thank you Hugo for taking the time to look into this.  It's too bad there
aren't more web archives.

Take care,

Blue Sterling

[End]