Tall latte

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Thu Sep 12 17:55:52 UTC 2013

On 09/11/2013 03:30 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> ----------------------- Sender:       American Dialect Society
> <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett
> <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM> Subject:      Tall latte
>
>  I'm in Portland, and twice I've had baristas ask for clarification
> on my = order of a "tall latte."
>
> AFAIK, "tall" is standard in Seattle for 12 ounces. I don't recall =
> anyone ever asking for a clarification.

When I moved to Minneapolis, I found that asking for "regular tea" got
me only blank looks.  Finally, I learned that to get standard orange
pekoe without milk or cream, I needed to ask for "black tea."

I had previously lived in Ulster County NY, NYC, San Francisco, and Los
Angeles.

--
Dan Goodman
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.