question on "the nine yards of blank paper" 1917

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 14 23:11:12 UTC 2013

I think your find is interesting, Stephen, and at least suggests "the
nine yards of" as a reference to "a lot" may have been in use at the
time.

Or have I rather densely missed that you might be attracted
specifically to "nine yards of [blank] paper" and the sense of
telling?

For what it's worth, I was excited once to find references to "nine
yards of train and plane tickets" (1940) and "nine yards of red tape"
(1956), but -- as I either realized on my own or, more likely, as Fred
pointed out to me -- it's really tough to know whether there was any
particular significance to "nine yards" and whether it may have
indicated a lurking meme.  In other words, were there people who truly
favored "nine yards [of]," perhaps over other measurements, to signify
"a lot" or were these just easy-to-find instances of
not-especially-preferred "nine yards of" usages by a couple newspaper
columnists?  These certainly didn't evoke the idiom itself, but they
did indicate "a lot."  Of course, your find may go further,
strengthening a use of "nine yards of" with reference to
information-sharing.

I don't know where, if anywhere, we'll end up with all this, but it's
nevertheless fun to think about and I enjoy the discussions that take
place here on the list.  Me, I'm a little stuck now until we find
other early usages of the idiom itself, but I'm sure they're coming.

-- Bonnie