"bucket list" before the movie?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 16 15:24:39 UTC 2013

My wife was just wondering if the expression was created by the movie, and my initial thought was that the movie probably just popularized it.  The OED is a bit wishy-washy:

bucket list n.  [after _to kick the bucket_ at Phrases; popularized by the title of the film The Bucket List (2007): see quot. 2006.] colloq. a list of things that a person hopes to experience or achieve during his or her lifetime.

But the 2006 quot. is just an UPI Newswire item about the upcoming movie release.  "Popularized" reinforces my suspicion that the screenwriter didn't come up with the expression, but there's no prior cite given.  Anyone know?

LH