Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be Do"

Tue Sep 17 20:33:38 UTC 2013

Fred wrote:
> Has anyone in this thread mentioned the fourth line:
>
> Be a do be, not a don't be.
> Romper Room
>
> Younger members of ADS-L probably have no idea what I'm referring to.

Thanks Fred. That is a good example of one of the additional lines
that has accreted over time. Off list Victor mentioned a Scooby Doo
line. Here are some examples of variable quality from rec.humor in
1990:

"To do is to be."                         -- Socrates
"To be or not to be."                     -- Shakespeare
"To be is to do."                         -- Sartre
"Dooby dooby doo."                        -- Sinatra
"Yabba dabba doo"                         -- Fred Flinstone
"Yabba grabba brew"                       -- T-shirt
"Dabba dabba doo"                         -- Kate Bush
"Do be a doo-bee"                         -- Miss Marty on Romper Room
"Do a doobie, dude"                       -- A Stoned Person
"Doooooo-doooo"                           -- Eddie Murphy
"Scooby-doobee-doo"                       -- Scooby Doo
"Hey-boo-boo"                             -- Yogi Bear
"Whoop-di-do!!"                           -- Me
" Smells like doo-doo"                    -- Three year old nephew
"Do up a doobie"                          -- The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
"Do do do doot..doot..doot..doot doo"     -- The Doobie Brothers
"doot doo-doot doot doot doo doot"        -- "the colored girls"
"Do    doo     do    doo     do             do" -- _Twilight Zone_ theme
"Do ya, Do ya, Do ya, Do ya wanna dance?" -- Beach Boys