Collection of libfixes on TheWeek.com

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 20 14:16:31 UTC 2013

Speaking of libfixes:  This morning in my Elizabethan Poetry class, I overheard myself telling the students that they should have developed a degree of SONNETDAR--the ability to glance at an unfamiliar poem on the printed page and estimate whether it's likely to be a sonnet.

I wonder if anybody else uses that term?  (Google is unhelpful.)

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Neal Whitman [nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:36 AM

Here's an alphabetically organized (but by no means exhaustive) list of
libfixes in a column for TheWeek.com (where we've also been reading some
good stuff from James Harbeck):
http://theweek.com/article/index/249302/a-linguistic-tour-of-the-best-libfixes-from--ana-to--zilla
. Links to posts by Arnold Zwickyand articles by Ben Zimmer and Nancy
Friedman. Also special thanks to Ben for filling in my gap for the
letter U with '-umentary'in a comment.

Neal